Stephen Johnson has been practicing in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, commercial and business transactions, venture capital financing, estate planning, and probate administration since 1994 after graduating magna cum laude from the Syracuse University College of Law. As a transactional attorney, he handles numerous mergers and acquisitions representing buyers and sellers of all sized corporations, limited liability companies, and other business entities. Additionally, Stephen represents and advises entrepreneurs and start-ups on how to structure their entities, negotiates and prepares shareholders’ agreements and operating agreements, among other agreements, as well as represents companies and shareholders looking for venture capital financing.
Areas of Practice
- Corporate and Business Law
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Venture Capital and Private Equity
- Corporate Governance
- Debt Financing
- Joint Ventures and Strategic Alliances
- Employment Matters
- Estate Planning
- Probate Administration
State Bar Admissions
- Florida (since 1998)
- Colorado (since 1994)
- Texas (since 2014)
- Syracuse University College of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 1994)
- University of Colorado at Boulder (B.S., Business Administration, 1990)
- Scribes Award for Most Outstanding Legal Writing
- American Jurisprudence Award – Real Estate Transactions II
- Robert M. Anderson Publication Award
- Justinian Honor Society
- Panelist, on a program entitled, “A Practical Guide to Valuing, Buying and Selling a Privately Held Business in Florida” at a National Business Institute seminar in West Palm Beach, FL, October 2004.
- Law Review Note entitled “Trustee Investment: The Prudent Person Rule or Modern Portfolio Theory, You Make the Choice” was published in 44 SYR. L. Rev. 1175 (1993).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Member, Solo/Small Firm Networking Group, Broward County Bar Association, Florida
- Member, Buildings & Grounds Committee, Broward County Bar Association, Florida
- Member, Business Law Section & Real Property, Probate & Trust Law Section, The Florida Bar
- Member, St. John the Baptist Church Men’s Club, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
- Past Member, Adams County Bar Association, Colorado
Current & Past Positions
- Managing Partner, The Johnson Law Firm, Hollywood, FL (current)
- Of Counsel, Maspons & Sellek, LLP, Coral Gables, FL (current)
- Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary, Schumann/Steier, Inc., Coral Gables, FL & Houston, TX
- Of Counsel, Abadin Cook, Miami, FL
- Shareholder, Carlton Fields, P.A., Miami, FL
- Vice President of Business Development and Associate General Counsel, WhiteFence, Inc., Houston, TX
- Associate Attorney, Akerman, LLP, Miami, FL
- Associate Attorney, Cohen, Berke, Bernstein, Brodie & Kondell, P.A., Miami, FL
- Associate Attorney, Thomas Quentin Benson & Associates, P.C., Denver, CO
Representative Pro Bono Matters
- Reviewed and analyzed a federal inmate’s request for clemency through the Clemency Project 2014.
- Handled various corporate matters for a start-up technology company and maid service company.
- Counseled start-up skin care client on choice of entity issues and handled formation of limited liability company.
- Submitted an appeal of a health maintenance organization’s denial of claims by an indigent member.